Monday, March 26, 2007

Reading Prompt #9

Which of the limitations, caveats, and challenges with regards to computer assisted language learning apply to your current (or future) classrooms? How could these be overcome?

It seems to me that the biggest concern for teachers may be cultural differences in how copyrighted material is viewed and/or handled. Intellectual property rights are not necessarily universal. As a teacher, I think I would need to try and familiarize myself with how different cultures that are represented in my classroom may view both technology and the use of material that technology provides. Additionally, it seems to me that helping students learn the rules for referencing information is a critical part of developing academic proficiencies that students need to succeed long term in American schools, especially at the university level. I also was surprised by the students in Egbert Ch9 that had physical and developmental barriers to using computers successfully. I had not even thought of that until I read the chapter. I think I need to educate myself a little more on that one. I think the idea of having other forms of backup to the computer is definitely a good idea. I know that sometimes for older learners they just prefer good old books and paper and pencil. Something I need to consider since I really want to work with adults who may view themselves as to old to learn new tricks and resist the use of technology.

2 comments:

Adrienne Guillen said...

I agree with your view of the cultural aspect. And being an elementary bilingual student I need to be sensitive to these issues, although I have not encountered any so far. My students seem excited and anxious to learn using technology. As far as copyright issues I will have to further explore teaching that aspect to my students. Since they are only 4th graders, I never gave that aspect high priority. Thanks for the insight!

-Adrienne Padilla

Joleen J said...

HI, Max. The intellectual property issue is a huge one, and the views on that from country to country vary so widely that it is amazing. We've all seen or heard of bootlegged material and plagiarized papers! You should see the knock-off (clothes, books, CDs, software, etc.) industry in Korea or Taiwan, for example. I was simply dumbfounded by it when I was over there. I think we just have to educate our students as much as possible as to what is expected of them and what we may object to, but we also have to consider that the different cultural idea they have about this is a fact that we cannot change overnight, even though the intellectual property lawsuits are heating up in this country! It will be interesting to watch what happens.